From New Zealand: From New Zealand:
RaceTrack - unofficial NZ boat ranking

All available T30 results from the New Zealand. RaceTrack is a database of New Zealand yacht performance information. It uses published race results to build comparison information on how much quicker (or slower) one yacht is to her competitors.

RaceTrack list include all Tboats actively sailing in NZ.

<<< Tboat T30 New Zealand Results >>>
<<< Tboats Results >>>

"Demonstrator" - New Zealand
"UnderWorld" - New Zealand

T30 Proto

"Wairere" - USA
"Drinks Trolley" - New Zealand
"Foundation"- New Zealand

From USA, T30 "Wairere":
25/1/2008 - T30 Proto "Wairere" finished 2nd in the PHRF 1 at the Key West 2008

Pete Hunter: "...the extra upwind leg is killing us against the longer boats. 1st race we were fouled by Farr36 at finish, would have finished 1st in that one. Boat is still considered by many to be one of the coolest boats here."

<<< Thompson T30 Proto "Wairere" Key West 08 Results >>>
<<< Tim Wilkes Photos... >>>

From Wally T30NZ "Demonstrator" - New Zealand:

10/1/2008 - Xmas 2007 "Demonstrator" Cruise

"We've just had a bloody good time away on the boat so I've written a little missive about it with some photos."

The Christmas cruise came about as the result of a nice piece of subterfuge actually. The skipper of my partner's girls team she sails with made a quiet suggestion a few weeks before Christmas. "Why don't you bring 'Demonstrator' up to Kawau for New Year" she asked, "Then maybe we can race the boat in the New Year's Day regatta??."

Ah Haa! The plot thickens. I thought it was a great idea so with a bit of fevourish activity unloading racing sails and loading up with food, booze, bunk cushions, booze, dinghy, outboard, booze, boom tent etc and, as an afterthought, some booze, we were sorted.

We were headed for Kawau Island, about 30 miles north of Auckland. Kawau is just one of the many islands we have in the Hauraki Gulf and an absolute jewel. Bon Accord Harbour is a deep cove lying approximately East/West and is deep enough to take many hundreds of boats at a time. Anchor holding is pretty good in all weathers except a howling westerly but there are enough 'hidey holes' to shelter in.

I was initially skeptical that all the gear we had brought would find a home but staggeringly it did, eventually. I do remember many years ago looking at the pile of gear lying beside our 16 foot Hartley trailer sailer and thinking the pile was bigger than the yacht but it all stowed away.

We originally had planned to stay away for maybe 4 days so we catered for 6 - then stayed away for 8 days in all, due to the fabulous weather we experienced. Often at this time of the year the summer weather patterns haven't settled but this season continues it's strangely quiet characteristic. This period's newspaper and tv headlines are usually all about windblown tents, washed out camping grounds and dragging anchors but not this year fortunately!

The crew comprised myself, my partner and our not-quite-8-year-old daughter, a scurvy crew indeed. We had a glorious sail with the wind aft of the beam all the way up, covering the 30 miles in a bit over 3.5 hrs under full main and just the #3 jib - not wanting to overexcite the wee girl. She has done quite a bit of sailing but so far we've been easing her into the fact that boats do jump around a bit when the breeze gets up a little and making sure we don't scare her off. I remember as a little tacker on our 22' double ended Woollacott being terrified out sailing on the Waitemata Harbour, the waves were all huge and I would have sworn we were going to capsize every minute or so. It's a wonder I finished up doing as many miles as I have to be honest.

We spent most of the time based in Bon Accord, doing day trips to beaches at Bostaquet Bay on the south coast, Vivian Bay on the west and Sandy Bay, round on the east coast of the island. We were traveling with friends, and their 2 little girls (my girl's "sisters") aboard their 13.5m pilothouse cruiser so most of the entertainment involved beaches, bush walks looking for wallabies and swimming - when it wasn't all about hair, makeup and dolls, no boyfriends yet!

The boat handled the cruising environment with ease. The cooker did its job well, we had plenty of battery power and with the drop down table making a good sized double bunk it was very cosy. Little girl took up residence in the starboard quarter berth and rattled around in there with heaps of space for her 'family', books and as many toys as we allowed her to take.

The only real excitement we had was on New Year's Eve. I was still up and around luckily for at about 3.45 am there was a loud CRASH from the bow. I raced outside to find a 32 foot launch wrapped around our bow. The breeze had picked up rapidly from the east with a fresh little line squall with attendant rain, nice! My partner and I are there busily fending them off and trying to wake the owners. Eventually they arrived half awake wondering what was going on but after my girl had given them both verbal barrels they got their act together and started the motor. Once we'd pushed them off I started our motor just in case, which was a good move as their boat had indeed torn our anchor out of the mud and we had to re-lay further up the bay. Luckily we had no damage to our bow and all we missed out on was an extra hour's sleep, which I could rather have done with considering the race we had coming up later in the day.

The race itself was a lot of fun, the breeze which, while quite fresh for a short period earlier, had settled to about 10 knots, just enough for our shorthanded crew of 4. The race was around Kawau Bay, between Kawau and the mainland across to Snell's Beach, Algies Bay and Sandspit, the closest ferry call to Kawau. We finished second behind a forty footer so we were very happy with the day's sail. Nowhere on handicap as usual, I don't know where the bags of gold bullion I send to the handicappers go to, although I must say they all have very nice boats. Is there something I'm missing?

After all this time it became obvious we were about to experience a very deep and meaningful human tragedy, yup we were just about out of coffee. Oh, the inhumanity! Although the very good Kawau Island Yacht Club with its fuel and water dock, bar and small caf? did a very nice long black with milk on the side and one sugar please, we were just about tuckered out with all the activity, necessitating a trip back home for a rest.

We had decided to stay an extra, extra day as the breeze outside was virtually nothing, and all from the south i.e. smack on the nose. This would have meant a long boring day motoring or ghosting along under sail so, as the forecast for the next day was a 15 knot easterly we decided to stay overnight. So it proved, the following day did indeed cough up the said breeze which gave us a beam reach across to the channel between Tiritiri Matangi Island, off the tip of the Whangaparaoa Peninsular, where we had a small right hand turn for the slightly aft of the beam 2 sail reach all the way in to Auckland.

All in all a fabulous week away, the boat went very well, Mummy and Daughter had a wonderful time, great weather, a fun race, yummy scallops but no decent sized fish, alas. We advertise the T30 as a boat you can happily go camping on and it's all true, you can, and thoroughly enjoy it! "

I've got heaps more shots of the cruise but these show a bit of mummy sailing the boat (see it's easy), the boat at anchor (note extremely hi tech boom tent) and a messy interior (damn - the maid's late again!!) shot.

From Wally T30NZ "Demonstrator" - New Zealand:
19/12/2007 - "Demonstrator" New Interiour Photos

From Wally T30NZ "Demonstrator" - New Zealand:
17/11/2007 - Brin Wilson Memorial Race

The Brin Wilson Memorial Race, race 3 of the 2007 Nexus Gold Cup series, is a 60 nautical mile night race around the inner islands of the Hauraki Gulf outside Auckland. Starting at 7.30 pm, it was an ideal length course to introduce my young crew to the intricacies of night sailing. As we had already competed in the 2007 125 mile a few weeks earlier it may have seemed a little late but during the it was apparent that the young 'uns needed a little tuition on both diet and how to stay awake and alert!

The course took us north to Navy Buoy in Whangaparaoa Passage, about 15 miles out from the start off Orakei Wharf in Auckland, back up towards Auckland leaving the iconic volcanic cone of Rangitoto Island to port, then heading east down through Motuihe Channel between Motutapu Island and Waiheke Island leaving Waiheke to starboard. Up through the 'Bottom End' of Waiheke through the Waiheke Channel leaving Passage Rock to port and back home in a westerly direction into Auckland Harbour to the finish off Westhaven Marina.

The forecast looked as though we were never going to have much breeze, and so it proved, with a maximum of 10 knots during most of the race - and a minimum of not-very-much-at-all in the wee small hours of the morning. Mainly from the south too, which is not a usual direction for us here. Our prevailing wind is southwest and at this time of the year (Spring) we can expect plenty of fresh conditions. This year has been unusually light, with breeze from all directions.

We had a cracker start, on the windward end of the line with good speed and clear air above the big boats in the fleet. It was apparent early on that we were going to pace the big boats quite easily so we were extremely pleased to find ourselves leading the fleet under masthead genniker halfway out to Whangaparaoa. The leading boats comprised 'Carrera' (Marten 49), 'Power Play' (Cookson 39), 'Lovealuck' (Elliot 12), 'Kiwi' (Jim Young 42) and the much traveled 'Starlight Express' (Davidson 55). I raced on 'Starlight' for several years, including the 1994 Sydney to Hobart Race. We also knew we were likely to be pushed on handicap by the Davidson 36 'Stratocaster'. 'the Strat' was built many years ago by Tim Gurr (lately chief boatbuilder for Alinghi) and has always been a good performer in light conditions. As we like to enjoy ourselves while racing we celebrated by hoisting a couple of coldies from the icebox - mainly to reduce weight of course and after all it was Friday night. Further up the breeze headed us slightly and increased which worked well to lay us down towards the mark. At this stage 'Carrera' slipped past us but we were still second boat to Whangaparaoa, and very happy we were too!

On the wind back up towards Rangi gave the big boats a chance to crawl back into us, which they did, but we had good boatspeed and it took them all quite some time. 'Carrera' seemed to have taken off as we lost sight of them in the blaze of lights surrounding the city and suburbs but we still had a good sight of the rest of them. Behind us we couldn't see any of the rest of the fleet doing much to us on the wind so we knew we were going pretty well. Once we got to windward of Rangitoto we hoisted the masthead genniker again for the run down to the western end of Waiheke through Motuihe Channel. When we passed the end of Waiheke we had a small right hand turn which gave us a very shy reach, still under masthead, for the next 8 miles down to the turning point at the eastern end of Waiheke, leaving the gannet colony on Gannet Rock out to port of us. Gannet Rock was a radio call in point so we were keen to find out who was behind us, and how close they were. Unfortunately we couldn't hear from anyone. We had 2 lights way back in the distance and we knew we were likely to be walking away from anyone back there while the boats in front weren't racing away from us either. We thought at this stage we might be right in this race!

By this stage it was after midnight but the boys were going very well and we were rotating the helm and trim to keep everyone involved. This is a sure way of keeping the crew alert as I have often found racing longer distances, especially at night. We had to wriggle our way up through the Waiheke Channel fighting a dying breeze and outgoing tide. We were down to 1.5 knots on the GPS but never saw the 'row of eggs' at all. We figured one of the two lights behind was the 'Strat' but couldn't quite work out which was the other. It turned out later it was 'Zora', a new Salona 45 cruiser/racer from Croatia. It was a long night getting up to the turning point inside Passage Rock, rounding just on daybreak in to a glorious morning. We had the common occurrence of "look! There's a white light right behind us!!". Ah no mate, that's Venus. "Eh?"
Venus, you know? the planet? ??.."..oh". I couldn't quite work out if the look on his face meant he thought I was a guru - or an idiot. I've been caught by that one before as no doubt many have - and will in the future. Just to make sure, while I was visiting Auckland's Stardome Observatory a few days ago I asked if I was right and was much relieved to find I was in fact a guru - not the other one!

We were warming up rapidly after a cold night, shedding clothing in a jumbled heap on the cockpit floor. I feel like their mother, constantly picking up after them. We were on a 2 sail reach with outboard sheeting for a while when we decided to try our new weapon. Doyle Sails NZ are trialling a new Stratis sail on my boat in the form of a "String" (fibrelay) genniker. This will work well on superyachts in the future, being immensely strong, much stronger than a spinnaker nylon. This sail, the first one they've done, is rather overbuilt for my little boat, we refer to it as ' the light # 1 jib on the prod' but was worth its weight in gold for this race, adding over a knot of boatspeed. I had the binoculars out checking for boats around us. I could just see, in morning haze behind us, a boat popping out round Waiheke but they weren't going all that quick. It later proved to be 'Stratocaster'. Looking out in front I was overjoyed to spot the big boats only a few miles in front! Talk about gee up the lads, this was looking good.

Once we got abeam of Brown's Island, with only about 10 miles to go, I could see the all five big boats beating, in no breeze, up towards the last rounding mark off Orakei Wharf before the last 3 miles up the Waitemata Harbour to the finish. We sailed straight up to Orakei with a gentle breeze on our beam and still carrying the little genniker. Rounding Orakei Buoy gave us a chance to go up to our fractional 80 sq m genniker and head off towards the finish. The leaders had a light breeze at this stage and we were still sneaking up on them. The wind swung aft just enough for us to go to the masthead genniker for a short while before we ran into the morning southwesterly gently starting to roll down the harbour which meant untangling the genniker from around the rig before we could hoist the jib. We finished 25 minutes behind gun boat 'Lovealuck', with, in finishing order, 'Power Play', 'Carrera', 'Starlight Express' and 'Kiwi' just 15 minutes in front of us. 'Stratocaster' along with the others had run out of breeze and came trickling in 2hrs40 behind us. 'Zora', which was beside 'Strat' at Passage Rock, didn't finish 'til 3 hours further back.

The result had us winning by 15 minutes from 'Kiwi' so we were very happy campers indeed. I was most impressed with the way we were able to keep moving in the light breeze and to hang on to the big boats overnight. We may have been lucky with the breeze but to balance that we were able to put ourselves in a position to take advantage of the luck available, which I feel is a good testament to the abilities of the boat all round.

Wally (Mark Wallis), "Demostrator", NZL 9130

<<< Results .pdf >>>

From Wally T30NZ "Demonstrator" - New Zealand:
22/10/2007 - Auckland to Russell in the Bay Sprint

The , from Auckland to Russell in the Bay of Islands in the Northland region, is a 125 mile sprint up the East Coast of the North Island of New Zealand.

Held every year since 1982, this is New Zealand's most popular coastal race, consistently attracting entries in excess of 200 boats. Conditions can be anything from light to extremely fresh, upwind to flat off and you never really can tell until the morning of the race! The weather can be severe enough to offer plenty of challenges with capsizing multihulls and gear damage aplenty. With a 100 mile leg to Cape Brett off the Bay with a course to steer, with 2 small 10 degree changes, of 350-320 degrees and a prevailing wind from the southwest you generally, in the early spring, can expect a run for about 30 miles then a long, boring 2 sail reach to the Brett. Occasionally we get a race where the breeze can vary in strength where we get to do quite a few sail changes. After you round the Brett you have a 7 mile lay through to Red Head off Okahu Island, another 6 odd miles across to Tapeka Point then a short hop around the corner to the finish line in Russell. Russell (Kororareka) was a whaling town back in the days, and a bit of a hard town it was too by all accounts.

This year we had a southeasterly breeze of around 20 knots forecast which would give basically a flat run to Cape Brett, not the most favourable breeze for the prod (sprit) equipped boats but definitely enough breeze for us to be able to sail low angles.

Conditions for the start of the race at 10.10 am, Friday 19 October, 2007 weren't too far from the forecast, quite an amazing feat really. The breeze was indeed from the SE but only blowing around 10 knots, and less once we cleared Rangitoto Island. "Rangi" is Auckland's latest volcanic cone, one of 66 in the area and only about 850 odd years old. Rangitoto dominates the skyline and is symmetrical in shape, so it appears the same from all angles.

The start was crowded as usual but we were able to weave our way around the bigger boats in our division and were 2nd boat past Rangi Light behind 'Positive Touch'. 'Posi' is a Jim Young Rocket 31, built around 25 years ago and now sporting a new carbon rig and new foils. With little lead on the bulb, relying instead on crew weight on the rail, PT is very fast downwind so we were very happy to be in touch with them from the start. The other boats we were expecting to have good competition with were; 'Force 11' (turboed Jim Young 11 with new carbon rig, new foils), 'Waka' (Thompson 850), 'Blackout'(Murray Ross 30'), 'Frenzy'(Lambert 36). The spread of our handicap division saw the fast 28 footers racing against slower 45 footers and anything in between. All the above boats are New Zealand designed and built.

The sea state was quite lumpy for such a light breeze and we could see from the start PT was uncomfortable enough for us to be slowly rolling down over them. This was while we were slowly walking away from the other boats. My main opposition in size and speed is Blackout, usually. Blackout has a slightly bigger rig and more lead but 'Demonstrator', my T30, is much finer in the bow and tends to be quicker downwind, and upwind in a choppy sea. This was proving to be the case as we were obviously leaving them behind. After passing outside Tiritiri Matangi Island after the first 15 miles PT gybed back in towards the coast while Blackout came out with us. Most of the division gybed in leaving us to follow some time later. Noone except PT had done anything to us so we felt comfortable with our position. The forecast 20 knots hadn't arrived and the breeze was dying slightly if anything and was quite boring for some time. The first half of the race was slow enough to put any thoughts of race records for the leaders out the window.

The next 20 miles was a fairly tedious procession as we gybed back and forth staying in breeze lines and slowly "beating to leeward". The boats with spinnakers running flat weren't racing away from us so we were still pretty happy. Anyway it was a sunny Friday and this was better than being at work! After we passed Cape Rodney life got a little more interesting. Waka had been right beside us but gybed back into the coast and when they gybed to come back out we knew we had got the jump on them so we carried on heading out to sea, on starboard and about 40 degrees high on course. Force 11, Frenzy and Cosmic Cruise (Beale 42) had sneaked away down to leeward, laying Cape Brett on port tack with spinnaker poles braced right aft. Waka reached their line and gybed to stay with them but our gybe angle back in was, by now, putting us well behind so we elected to stay as we were and come back once the breeze shifted. The further offshore we went we found the breeze shifting round behind us and increasing. We could see the boats inshore still weren't improving against us so once we reached the 'point of no return' for the gybe back inside the halfway point of the Hen and Chicken Islands we elected to stay outside. This would be the first time in 13 or so "Coastals" I've done that I've been outside so we definitely were taking a punt.

It was about this stage that we needed to gybe and, as the breeze had been steadily increasing, change down to our 80 sq m fractional genniker from our masthead 110 sq m sail. We set the new sail up on deck, got all ready and it was "Ok, blow the halyard!"????.."Blow it guys, dump it now!!"??.."It is??"??."No it's not"?.."You're standing on it?.." and the guys on the front were pulling and tugging, and tugging and pulling - and it certainly WASN'T coming down.

"Oh great - it's jumped the sheave " was my first thought. I called for the young (he's 17) bowman to grab the harness and get ready to go up the rig. I figured seeing as I'm nearly 50 it's about time I quit that sort of behaviour when there are youngsters aboard! Just as he was reaching for the harness the sail freed itself. Talk about a huge collective sigh of relief! Once we pulled the sail in it was obvious what the problem was - the halyard had the whole sheave box attached to it. Time to go and have a quiet chat with the sparmaker seems in order?

By now the breeze had definitely kicked in quite hard. As soon as we had set the smaller sail we were off at a great rate of knots. Blackout had come outside with us and I could see they had set their smallest genniker but were still some distance behind us and night was approaching. I didn't hear it personally but apparently one of the young crew, in his first overnight coastal race, was heard to ask what we did when it got dark! The reply went unrecorded. This would prove to be the wettest, fastest, most exhilarating part of the race for sure. The boat was sitting consistently on 13-14 knots with bursts up to 17.2 tops. I had helmed for some time and handed over to one of the others to check our position. I knew we were blasting but it wasn't until I sat on the rail that I experienced the full sensation of how fast we were traveling. I've many years of experience in multihulls, including 5 Coastal Classics and while this wasn't as quick as cat sailing, it wasn't too far off! We were bursting over waves and launching into the wave in front, at times dipping the bow into the water so we had a wave 6 inches high doing 16 knots washing back across the deck. The good thing with these boats is they don't slow down when this happens, the bow pops back up and away you go. Awesome sailing, the boys were yipping and yahooing and having a great time. We 'threw it down the road ' occasionally, as one does, but the boat has such good stability all you had to do was dump the sheet, the boat bounds straight back up, sheet on and off you go again. Though it was night the sky was clear and we had a small moon so it was a magic ride.

Just before the breeze kicked in I was trying to encourage the crew, most of whom are aged 20 or less with only 2 of them with any coastal or night sailing experience, to eat properly to keep the strength up and to keep warm. Unfortunately it seems that young men these days believe that lollies(candy), potato chips and "V" drinks are a food group! Ah - no boys, it's merely a sugar 'rush' right? It's quite funny at times, I have to try and pass on more than 30 years of experience in such a way that I don't sound like their parents. Anyone got any bright ideas? I think they figured it out eventually. Of course I always listened to my elders didn't I? Yeah, right!

So there we were, hooning along at high speed going not quite in the right direction but close enough, and we had to work out when to drop the genniker and set the #2 headsail up to reach back into Cape Brett. I think there were a few boats that were as far offshore as us but I've got a feeling we probably left the turn in much later than any of them. This worked in our favour, as the swell had built up from the southeast so we were surfing in at 12 knots under jib. As we closed the coast we began to pick up a whole bunch of green lights up to windward - and there were many more behind us than in front. We had radioed our position just before the Hen but hadn't picked up any transmissions from other boats so weren't too sure just where the opposition - excepting Blackout behind us - was. I had switched on my handheld VHF, after retrieving it from one of the cockpit bags where it had been getting drowned all night and finding it still worked, to listen in to the yachts calling in after rounding the Brett. The first boat I hear is 'Starlight Express', a Davidson 55 aboard which I raced in the 1994 Sydney to Hobart. This was excellent news, we were only 3 miles behind them!

As more boats called in it appeared we had done very well indeed. After we sailed through the gap between Cape Brett and Piercy Island I called in our position and by now we had boats all around us. Piercy Island is the location of the "Hole in the Rock", a popular tourist destination whereby the tour boats motor through the huge hole in the rock - hence the rather obvious name. Right behind us came the Davidson 10.5m 'Jive Talkin'', a very good 35 footer from the Bay of Islands. We were thrilled, to say the least, as 'Jive' had started 10 minutes ahead of us! Less exciting for us was hearing Waka call in about 5 minutes ahead of us. They must have had a slightly better angle in to Cape Brett from their inshore position, but there wasn't much in it, and we were still in front of Blackout. The breeze, on the leeward side of the Cape, was much less than we had been sailing in further offshore but we carried on using the same headsail. On my boat the size difference is minimal from the #1 to the #2 so we still had target boatspeed on the lay across to Red Head. We stayed close to Red Head as just a mile offshore lies Whale Rock, which lurks about 1m below the surface at low tide and has taken more than its fair share of hits. One of the multihulls, the 35' 'Free Radical', hit the rock with a centerboard and did a good deal of damage. The crew described the incident to me the next day and it cracked me up. They had a large television screen linked to the navigation computer. The navigator was watching the course over the ground line converging with Whale Rock and passed the information on to the crew. So they sat round watching the screen didn't they? And they thought they'd clear over the top of the rock didn't they? So they smacked clean into it while admiring how accurate the GPS was didn't they? Definitely a Homer Simpson moment - D'oh!

While this was going on I'd been following on the radio the emergency playing out between the rescue services. It appeared one of the fast catamarans, 'Silver Raider', had flipped some way off the coast and the crew were in dire straits. It transpired they were executing a gybe down a large wave and caught an override on the genniker sheet, flipping the boat clean over. The crew had been in the water for over an hour before being rescued and the skipper was in deep trouble with hypothermia with the medics struggling at times to find a pulse. We were all relieved to hear later that the patient was comfortable and sleeping safely on board the rescue boat. It highlighted to my crew the need for constant vigilance as even a coastal race can finish in disaster. The boat was not found the next day and is presumed to have broken up and sunk.

Once we'd passed Red Head we had a short beat up to Tapeka Point and didn't do too badly, with just a few 40 footers passing us, and putting a bit of time back on Waka. Around the corner into the finish off Russell we head along with another Davidson boat, the 42' 'Outlaw', finishing just 30 seconds ahead of us. Jive Talkin', which had slipped past us upwind, finished outside the finish line and had to return to finish correctly putting them 10 minutes behind us, not a good day for the Jive at all.

We had just cleared the finish line and who do we see behind us? Positive Touch! We'd lost sight of them as they disappeared out of sight up the coast inshore of us before nightfall. They had fitted a new rudder, one third of the weight of the old one, before the race. The blade had cracked and delaminated and the guys on board did a magnificent job of repairing it while underway, using whatever they could find on the boat. Right behind them was Blackout so we were very proud of ourselves indeed. Out of the fast 30 footers we were only beaten by the Thompson T850 "Waka" and felt very happy for those guys too, they'd sailed very well. We were 5th across the line, just 11 minutes behind gun boat Force 11, and finishing up 4th on handicap with Waka taking the honours. Go the Tboats!

The rest of the weekend in passed without incident. As the wind for the trip home was currently blowing over 40 knots we decided to leave the boat at the fabulous Opua Marina and return later in the week once the breeze had died down.

So the '07 Coastal for us went very well, the boat stood up in good order and the crew thoroughly enjoyed themselves and were rightly proud of their performance. I am having a marvelous time with the new boat and the crew are extremely keen to do more long distance racing including night sailing so I have entered the boat in the Nexus Gold Cup series of 60-90 mile races over the summer period. ...

Wally (Mark Wallis), "Demostrator", NZL 9130

From USA, T30 "Wairere":

25/6/2007 - "Wairere" wins Screwpile Lighthouse Challenge Regatta Results PHRF Class 2

Thompson T30 Thompson T30

<<< Thompson T30 Proto "Wairere" Results >>

From USA, T30 "Wairere":

4/6/2007 - "Wairere" wins SBRW "Boat of the Week"

Pete Hunter, and the "Wairere" crew came up out of Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, and won a tie for first place in the PHRF A fleet, taking home "Boat of the Week" honors and the Black Seal Cup.
Wairere had a finish string of 1-2-2-1. The final day of racing was cancelled when Tropical Storm Barry made his brief Hampton Roads appearance right smack dab in the middle of the scheduled race time yesterday. Conditions were bad and deteriorating, so a cheer (and Bloody Marys) went up from the racers when the decision to cancel was made at 0800.
On Friday and Saturday, the race courses were bedeviled each morning by light, fluky air, but saved each mid-day in time for a second race by a moderate sea breeze. Entries numbered 80 for the event, one more than any previous Southern Bay Race Week, setting a new record for number of entries in "recent history".

RESULTS: PHRF A (18) 1. Pete Hunter, Wairere (Thompson 30) ; 2.Sledd Shelhorse, Meridian 2 (Farr 36); 3.Lloyd Griffin, Cash Flow (Hadley 40); 4.Dave Eberwine, Sea Star (J36); 5.Bob Mosby , Cyrano (Frers 36).

From USA, T30 "Wairere":
25/1/2007 - "Wairere" wins the Key West PHRF Class 1

<<< Thompson T30 Proto "Wairere" Results >>>
<<< Tim Wilkes Photos... >>>

From New Zealand:
Boat review: Thompson T30NZ .pdf

Thompson T30